3 Ways To Upcycle A Basic Tee
Maybe, you’ve recently decluttered your closet, and while doing so, you found a few pieces of old and forgotten tees. And you’re probably one of those people who find it hard to let go of old clothes because they have become part of you. Perhaps, they hold fond memories of your childhood or time with family and friends. Don’t worry; there are ways you can still keep them.
1. Recycle Tee Into New Clothes One of the easiest ways to upscale your basic tee is by being creative about it and giving them a new look. For instance, if you have plain white tees, you can repurpose them and give them new life with tie-dye. Unleash the inner artist in you. Mix and match various colors to achieve the tie-dye design you want.
Or perhaps, you have artwork or graphic designs you wish to be printed on your basic tees. In such cases, consider looking for printing companies and suppliers that can offer longer-lasting, superior screen printing results to achieve the statement tees you want.
Aside from that, a few reconstructions on your basic tees could also do the trick. If you know your way around a sewing machine, this can work. But, if you don’t know how to sew, there are various sewing tutorials online that can help you out. So, bring out your scissors and sewing kit, and get ready to try out the following ideas:
- Make A Dress: Use an oversized tee for this. You can trim or remove the sleeves, depending on your preference, to give the top a shape. You can also adjust the neckline. And more so, if you prefer a tube dress, consider cutting the collar.
- Convert It To A Skirt: If the initial dress you made is too short for your liking, transform it into a skirt by doing the same procedure with the tube dress.
- Design A Fringed T-Shirt: A fringed top is simple to do. So, cut the bottom seam of your t-shirt, and use scissors to cut strips about an inch thick. Don’t cut all the way through; stop the middle part of the shirt.
- Make A Crop Top: A basic tee can also be upcycled to be a stylish crop top. To do this, remove the bottom part of the shirt and sew the hems properly.
2. Create Decorative Pieces:
Perhaps, you’re not planning on wearing your old basic tees anymore. In such a case, you don’t have to dispose of them right away because aside from revamping and ‘refashioning’ your old tees, you can also create decorative pieces from them.
Creativity is key. You can be as innovative and artistic as you want when transforming old and basic tees into a fun decorative element in your home. This can work well with printed tees. And on the other hand, if you have plain colored tees, you can always scribble, paint the fabric or sew some creative patches on them to give them a boost..
With that in mind, here’s a list of creative home decor ideas that can be made from your basic tees:
- Crochet Rug: Start by cutting your shirt into strips about half an inch thick. And from there, you can start crocheting while mixing and matching various fabrics and colors.
- Quilt: Cut squares on the basic tee. You can work on more than one tee to have more color options for your quilt. Lay them flat and start creating a pattern or do a color block. Sew them together to create a quilt.
- Wall Art: Draw a square pattern or outline around the quotes or graphic images on your statement tee, and then cut it. Once done, frame it proudly and place it on the wall or an end table.
- Throw Pillows: You can use shirts with patterns, designs, or creative prints. And just like with wall art, draw a square or rectangle to create a pattern and then cut it. But instead of framing it, stuff pillow fillers and sew the sides to secure it.
3. Make Accessories: Basic tees can also be repurposed as accessories. To name a few, here are some creative ideas to help you get started:
- Hair Accessories: You can make hair accessories straight from your tee or perhaps, from the leftover fabrics from your other DIY basic tee upcycling project. The larger pieces can be used to make bandanas, while the smaller ones can be transformed into stylish headbands.
- Tote Bag: Making a tote bag can be quite challenging but not impossible. There are sewing patterns available online to guide you as you make one. But generally, you can start by cutting the sleeves, neckline, and the bottom part of your basic tee. And then at the bottom, cut inch-wide fringe strips, and tie them into a square knot. And you now have a tote bag.
You can do so many things with your old tees instead of choosing to dispose of them right away, from refashioning them to making home décor and crafting stylish accessories. You can be as creative and innovative as you want, and the key is to think outside of the box.