San Holo redefines EDM with his EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC album
Available now on Helix
A captivating fusion of electronic, future bass, and indie elements featuring collaborations with What So Not, Whethan, Bipolar Sunshine, AURORA, and more
Embark on a transformative musical odyssey with San Holo’s album EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC.
Genre-defying artist San Holo invites listeners to dive into a world of innovation and introspection with his highly anticipated upcoming album, EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC, which presents a captivating fusion of electronic, future bass, and indie elements featuring collaborations with What So Not, Whethan, Bipolar Sunshine, AURORA and more.
Known for his ethereal and emotive sound, San Holo skillfully weaves intricate melodies, lush synth textures, and atmospheric effects to craft a dreamy and evocative musical landscape. Existential Dance Music pushes the envelope with its blend of organic and electronic elements, infusing each track with a distinctive warmth and authenticity. The album’s tracks offer a range of emotions, striking a delicate balance between uplifting and melancholic tones.
This new definition of EDM is a crucial component of the San Holo project and community. San explains, “Music has always been a way for me to express feelings that I can’t describe with just words… Words alone rarely capture something’s pure essence, and music seems to get a lot closer to capturing those feelings. Life is so existential by nature; We’re all looking for meaning in this world, and I’m fascinated by our personal journey of finding purpose. At the end of the day, we all wanna see the light and feel connected to our true selves and the world around us; We want to feel at peace. Existential Dance Music is all about this journey through life. Our journey to light. The lows, the highs, the hellos, the goodbyes…” More on the Existential Dance Music concept can be found here, in a manifesto from San directly.
One of the highlights of the album is the collaboration with Bipolar Sunshine titled “LIGHT ONLY.” An uplifting and hopeful song, the two mastermind musicians have crafted a truly beautiful song. Additionally, the recently released single “NO PLACE IS TOO FAR” is an album standout – a visionary collaboration between San Holo, dynamic creator Whethan, and soulful vocalist Selah Sol. Whethan and San have an existing synergy both as friends and artists, and Whethan is a special guest on San’s Kia Forum Los Angeles and Red Rocks Denver shows. This track serves as a glimpse into the ethereal masterpiece that awaits in the full album, showcasing a synergy that melds ethereal melodies with cutting-edge production. With this album, San Holo delves into themes of self-discovery, existentialism, and the quest for meaning in a complex world, creating an introspective and contemplative journey for listeners.
Additionally, San Holo is actively exploring the frontier of onchain music. He’s released 7 songs on Sound.xyz, a pre-save campaign on Showtime, and a collection on Nifty Gateway. Alongside the album release, San will be inviting fans to collect the project on his website to create a community collage. Fans can respond to a unique prompt for each track by collecting an edition on Sound for $4 – creating a social experience that subtly onboards them to Web3. This mood board will give fans the chance to read one another’s experiences in a curated environment designed to fit the intention of an “existential” dance project.
The experience is paired with a virtual concert in OnCyber on September 25th – providing another social layer for fans to meet one another from the comfort of their home. While most artists have strayed away from being onchain – San Holo has made an active commitment to fostering a community using new platforms designed to build stronger relationships with his fans.
San Holo will be bringing the album to life with the accompanying tour, which spans from fall 2023 to early 2024 and includes DROELOE and Ford. OddKidOut, Wes Mills, and more. The brand new live show, EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC, will be his biggest live show yet, mixing new music from the album with reimagined San Holo classics. The new visuals and production will take fans on a journey through the lows and highs of life. It juxtaposes the smallness of our experience with the vastness of the universe. By exploring the bittersweet dualities of the human condition in this intentionally crafted production, we will be reminded of our interconnectedness, even when we feel most alone. A journey to light.
EXISTENTIAL DANCE MUSIC is out now on Helix Records.
San Holo – Existential Dance Music Tracklist
- IDK WHO I AM
- DON’T LOOK DOWN (feat. Lizzy Land)
- TINY FLOWERS
- SILENCE IN MY MIND (feat. Sofie Winterson)
- BRING BACK THE COLOR (feat. AURORA)
- ALWAYS US (feat. Lizzy Land)
- DIVE IN DEEPER
- I’M SORRY (feat. Sofie Winterson)
- NO PLACE IS TOO FAR (feat. Whethan & Selah Sol)
- ENERGY (feat. What So Not)
- LIGHT ONLY (feat. Bipolar Sunshine)
- SHINE (feat. Lizzy Land)
- ALL THE HIGHS
- A MOMENT OF TRUTH
SAN HOLO ON TOUR:
2023 LIVE TOUR DATES
- Sep 27 – Spokane, WA – Knitting Factory *
- Sep 28 – Portland, OR – Roseland Theater *
- Sep 29 – Seattle, WA – Showbox SoDo *
- Sep 30 – Seattle, WA – Showbox SoDo *
- Oct 1 – Boise, ID – Knitting Factory *
- Oct 6 – Los Angeles, CA – Kia Forum (w/ Whethan, JVNA, OddKidOut)
- Oct 7 – San Jose, CA – San Jose Civic Center *
- Oct 11 – Morrison, CO – Red Rocks (w/ Whethan, William Black, Rome In Silver, OddKidOut)
- Oct 13 – Minneapolis, MN – Skyway Theater *
- Oct 14 – Chicago, IL – Radius *
- Oct 15 – Cincinnati, OH – Bogart’s #
- Oct 19 – Cleveland, OH – The Agora #
- Oct 20 – Washington, DC – Echostage #
- Oct 21 – Buffalo, NY – Buffalo Riverworks #
- Oct 22 – Detroit, MI – Majestic Theatre #
- Oct 26 – New York, NY – Webster Hall #
- Oct 27 – Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Steel #
- Oct 28 – Philadelphia, PA – Franklin Music Hall #
- Oct 29 – Pittsburgh, PA – Roxian Theatre #
- Oct 31 – Raleigh, NC – The Ritz #
2024 LIVE TOUR DATES
- Jan 12 – Tempe, AZ – Marquee Theatre #
- Jan 13 – El Paso, TX – 11:11 #
- Jan 14 – Albuquerque, NM – El Rey Theater #
- Jan 18 – Wichita, KS – TempleLive #
- Jan 19 – Tulsa, OK – Cain’s Ballroom #
- Jan 20 – Houston, TX – Stereo Live #
- Jan 25 – Kansas City, MO – The Truman #
- Jan 26 – Dallas, TX – The Factory In Deep Ellum #
- Jan 27 – Austin, TX – Emo’s #
- Jan 31 – Columbia, SC – The Senate Theatre #
- Feb 1 – Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore #
- + More dates TBA
ABOUT SAN HOLO:
San Holo, born Sander van Dijck, seamlessly weaves his personal journey into his music. From punk and alt-rock roots that fueled his guitar prowess to emerging as a future bass pioneer during the Soundcloud era, his unique style and candid songwriting have captivated both fans and peers. His debut album marked his independent breakthrough, earning accolades from rock icons Rivers Cuomo and Tom Morello to fellow producer Porter Robinson.
Diving into what he dubs “existential dance music,” San Holo’s compositions serve as emotional narratives, inviting listeners to explore the human experience. His live performances, whether at renowned venues or festivals, forge intimate connections with fans who embody his “stay vibrant” philosophy of honesty and mutual support. Beyond the music, his collaboration with the Calm app for the “Stay Vibrant” mix series underscores his commitment to mental health advocacy. With this new release, San Holo continues to redefine the boundaries of electronic music, inviting us all to join him on an introspective and vibrant sonic journey.
CONNECT WITH SAN HOLO
CONNECT WITH HELIX