ELLE AND JULY COVER STARS LESLIE JONES, MELISSA MCCARTHY, KATE MCKINNON, AND KRISTEN WIIG
CELEBRATE WOMEN IN COMEDY WITH A NIGHT OF STAND-UP FEATURING
MICHELLE BUTEAU, NIKKI GLASER, ILIZA SHLESINGER AND ALI WONG
Emceed by Jane Lynch and presented by Secret Deodorant
ELLE Editor-in-Chief Robbie Myers and July cover stars Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Kristen Wiig hosted a night of stand-up to celebrate ELLE’s first Women in Comedy issue at Hyde Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails in West Hollywood on Tuesday, June 7. The stars of the highly anticipated “Ghostbusters” remake are each featured on one of ELLE’s four July issue covers, and a cross-section of women making an impact in the comedy world are also profiled throughout the issue. The evening, presented by Secret Deodorant and emceed by Jane Lynch, featured stand-up performances by Ali Wong, Iliza Schlesinger, Michelle Buteau and Nikki Glazer.
- ELLE Editor-in-Chief, Robbie Myers opened the evening by toasting cover stars Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Kristen Wiig saying, “Someone on the red carpet asked me why do a Women in Comedy issue now? Because women who make the culture — and change the culture — is our mission, and when we heard that Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy and Kristin Wiig were starring in the remake of Ghostbusters, it just seemed like a watershed moment, the moment to take stock of women in the industry as a whole. We are so thrilled to have all four of them fronting our Women in Comedy issue, and to have them here tonight!”
- During her performance Iliza Shlesinger thanked Secret Deodorant for being her little secret.
- It was Ghostbuster kind of night with both new and original cast members getting together to celebrate the movie and hilarious women in comedy. In true Ghostbuster fashion, Dan Aykroyd brought funny and fright to the red carpet as he snuck up and scared Ghostbuster rookie, Melissa McCarthy while she was being interviewed. McCarthy joked, “This guy…I’ll tell ya!” before the two hugged as Aykroyd congratulated the funny lady on the film and Elle cover.
- After seeing amazing performances by the talented Ali Wong, Iliza Schlesinger, Michelle Buteau and Nikki Glazer, Leslie Jones decided to do an impromptu stand up performance during which she joked that she was about to get comfortable as she took of her jacket and heels.
- Sarah Hyland spent time chatting with her on-screen mom Julie Bowen before the performers took the stage and quickly rushed back after the show to pick up where they had left off.
- Celebrity moms Busy Phillips and Mayim Bialik laughing along to Ali Wong’s all too relatable set about motherhood and working hard to afford to have someone else take care of your children.