Elle Women in Hollywood Awards
ELLE HONORS CICELY TYSON, JENNIFER LAWRENCE, JESSICA CHASTAIN, KATHLEEN KENNEDY, LAURA DERN, MARGOT ROBBIE, RILEY KEOUGH AND TESSA THOMPSON AT ELLE WOMEN IN HOLLYWOOD AWARDS
24th Annual Celebration Emceed by Joel McHale
LOS ANGELES, CA (October 16, 2017)—ELLE, the world’s largest fashion magazine brand, celebrated the 24th annual ELLE Women in Hollywood awards at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills last night. The event honored Cicely Tyson, Jennifer
Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, Kathleen Kennedy, Laura Dern, Margot Robbie, Riley Keough and Tessa Thompson for their creative contributions to the world of film. Shonda Rhimes,Diane Ladd, Aaron Sorkin, Annette Bening, Reese Witherspoon, Jay Hernandez, Kristen Stewart and AvaDuVernay presentedto Tyson, Chastain, Kennedy, Dern, Robbie, Keough and Thompson respectively. Actor and comedian Joel McHale served as the emcee for the evening.
- ELLE Editor-in-Chief, Nina Garcia opened the awards with a unifying message reminding the audience that women in Hollywood “must band together and be proactive and tonight is a great place to start” stating to the crowd “we are in this room together, here to toast to what we have accomplished and to encourage one another to alter the course of Hollywood history. To make this the end of an era and the beginning of a new one!”
- It was an empowering and entertaining evening at the Elle Women in Hollywood Awards. From Tessa Thompson’s touching words on her personal hero and fellow honoree Cicely Tyson to candid and hilarious moments from Jennifer Lawrence guests were either standing in applause or laughing with joy throughout the evening.
- Reese Witherspoon greeted the audience with Laura Dern’s signature salutation, “hello beauties” and joked of stalking Laura Dern to play her mother in the critically-acclaimed Wild. Reese joked “I apologize to anyone in the room who auditioned for that part, because I have always dreamed of having Laura in that role.”
- Laura Dern brought her mother Diane Ladd who presented to Joy co-star and Elle Women in Hollywood honoree Jennifer Lawrence praising her as an ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
- Riley Keough, who is often compared to Runaways costar Kristen Stewart, joked “tonight you get a double dose of awkward” to the amused crowd.
- Margot Robbie brought a lighthearted moment to the room when she recited her 1,000-word essay on who she thinks she is, inspired by one of her favorite movies, The Breakfast Club.
- Riley Keough, who was joined by superstar mother Lisa Marie Presley, thanked her fiercely loyal mother for paving the way for young woman in the entertainment industry.
- Reese Witherspoon lit up the red carpet with her lookalike daughter Ava, who she praised onstage as being a “wonderful teenager.”
ELLE Editor-in-Chief Nina Garcia and SVP & Publisher Kevin O’Malley, along with presenting sponsors L’Oréal Paris and “Real is Rare. Real is A Diamond.”and supporting sponsor CALVIN KLEIN, brought together the honorees and presenters along with fellow artists, legends and leaders from across the industry, for this year’s dinner awards celebration.
Additional attendees included Cindy Crawford, Alessandra Ambrosio, Julianne Hough, Busy Philipps, Lake Bell, Vanessa Hudgens,Niecy Nash, Amy Landecker, Juliette Lewis, Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder, Nikki Reed, Yara Shahidi, Bellamy Young, Matt McGorry, Cobie Smulders, Lisa Marie Presley, Lilly Singh, Karen David,Sabrina Carpenter, Bellamy Young, Zoe Lister–Jones, Cara Santana, AshleyGreene, Dee Rees, Gillian Flynn, Jaime King, Grace VanPatten,Julia Garner,Herizen Guardiola, Hong Chau, Emily V. Gordon,Betsy Beers, DeWanda Wise, MaryannBrandon, BonnieArnold, Cathy Schulman,Kelly Marie Tran, HyldaQueally, Jennifer Neal, Haifaa Al –Mansour,KayCannon, Keri Putnam,Lisa Joy, Sophie Watts, Tracy Oliver, Michelle MacLaren, Julie Fontaine, and more.
Calvin Klein was worn by: Jessica Chastain, Julia Garner, Laura Dern, Lilly Sing, Margot Robbie, Nina Garcia, Reese Witherspoon, Riley Keough, TaviGevinson and Tessa Thompson.
Real Diamonds presented by “Real is Rare. Real is A Diamond.” were worn by:Cathy Schulman,Hong Chau,Karen David,Kay Cannon,Kelly Marie Tran,Michelle MacLaren,Sophie Watts,Tracy Oliver and Yara Shahidi.
In addition to being feted at the annual awards dinner in Los Angeles, the honorees are also featured on individual covers
of ELLE’s November Women in Hollywood issue, on newsstands now. You can view the portfolio on ELLE.com.
Past honorees include Alicia Vikander, Aja Naomi King, Amy Adams, Amy Schumer, Anna Kendrick, Anne Hathaway, Annette Bening, Ava DuVernay, Barbra Streisand, Carey Mulligan, Cate Blanchett, Dakota Johnson, Diane Keaton, Felicity Jones, Gena Rowlands, Gwyneth Paltrow, Halle Berry, Helen Mirren, Jane Fonda, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Lange, Jodie Foster, Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet, Kathy Bates, Kerry Washington, Kristen Stewart, Lupita Nyong’o, Marion Cotillard, Melissa McCarthy, Nancy Meyers, Reese Witherspoon, Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Shailene Woodley, Shirley MacLaine, Sigourney Weaver, Tina Fey, Viola Davis, Zoe Saldana, and more.
ELLE is the No. 1 fashion magazine brand in the world, with 46 editions, 34 websites, and more than 158 supplements worldwide. The ELLE U.S. brand reaches over 29 million influential readers, users, fans and followers across all platforms and inspires women to explore, cultivate and celebrate their personal style in all aspects of their lives. ELLE is owned by the Lagardere Active group (France), and ELLE U.S. is published by Hearst Magazines, a unit of Hearst, one of the nation’s largest diversified media, information and services companies. With 20 titles in the U.S., Hearst is the largest publisher of monthly magazines with a total paid circulation of nearly 30 million (AAM 1H 2017). Hearst Magazines’ print and digital assets reach nearly 123 million readers and site visitors each month–nearly two-thirds of all women and millennial women in the country. (source: 2017 comScore Multi-Platform // GfK MRI Media + Fusion (06-17/F16)). For more information visit ELLE.com, or follow ELLE on Twitter (@ELLEmagazine), Facebook (facebook.com/ELLEmagazine), Google+ (plus.google.com/+ELLE), Instagram (@ELLEUSA), Pinterest (pinterest.com/ELLE), or Tumblr (ELLE.tumblr.com).
ABOUT L’ORÉAL PARIS
The L’Oréal Paris division of L’Oréal USA, Inc. is a total beauty care brand dedicated to empowering women by offering the most luxurious and innovative products and services available in the mass market. The brand’s signature tagline, “Because I’m Worth It,” was born in the United States in 1971 to celebrate the beauty and intrinsic self-worth of women, and for more than 100 years, L’Oréal Paris has been providing women around the world with products in four major beauty categories: hair color, haircare, skincare and cosmetics. With L’Oréal’s invention of hair color in 1909, the brand continues to serve as the leading innovator of hair products across color, care, and styling with brands such as Superior Preference, Féria, Excellence Crème, Advanced Haircare, the Ever Collection, Advanced Hairstyle, and Elnett Satin Hairspray. L’Oréal Paris provides scientifically-advanced skincare products that are clinically proven to address individual skin concerns through its renowned brands Revitalift, Hydra Genius, Age Perfect, and Sublime Bronze. L’Oréal Paris’ iconic cosmetics collections include Infallible, True Match, Colour Riche, Voluminous, and Visible Lift. For more information about L’Oréal Paris and to receive personalized advice, expert tips, and exclusive content, please visit www.lorealparisusa.comor follow on Instagram (@LOrealMakeup, @LOrealHair, @LOrealSkin, @LOrealMens), Snapchat (@LOrealMakeup), Twitter (@LOrealParisUSA), Facebook (@LOrealParisUSA), and Pinterest (@LOrealParisUSA).
ABOUT “REAL IS RARE. REAL IS A DIAMOND.”
“Real is Rare. Real is A Diamond.” – created by the Diamond Producers Association (DPA) – is the diamond industry’s first category marketing initiative in a decade. The Diamond Producers Association is an international alliance of the world’s leading diamond mining companies who are united in their commitment to best-in-class ethical and sustainable operations and transparent business practices. Together, DPA members represent the majority of world diamond production. The DPA mission is to protect and promote the integrity and reputation of diamonds, and of the diamond industry.
ABOUT CALVIN KLEIN
CALVIN KLEIN is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses.
Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of CALVIN KLEIN brand products exceeded $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in [over] 110 countries. CALVIN KLEIN employs over 10,000 associates globally. We were acquired by PVH Corp. in 2003.